Baxter Sr. Principal Engineer, Thermal in Round Lake, Illinois
About Baxter Every day, millions of patients and caregivers rely on Baxter’s leading portfolio of critical care, nutrition, renal, hospital and surgical products. For more than 85 years, we’ve been operating at the critical intersection where innovations that save and sustain lives meet the healthcare providers that make it happen. With products, technologies and therapies available in more than 100 countries, Baxter’s employees worldwide are now building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of transformative healthcare innovations. To learn more, visit www.baxter.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Summary Applies technical expertise and experience in electromechanical thermal management toward the development of new or enhanced products or processes. Independently plans, executes and leads a cross-functional team for important engineering assignments of significant complexity, which require independent judgment. Effectively applies standard engineering principles with focus on computational and experimental approaches to thermal management and design mitigation to resolve difficult problems, from conception to final design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities * Devises new approaches to complex problems through application and adaptation state-of-the-art techniques in the area of expertise, with focus on computational and experimental approaches to thermal management. * As a good team player, able to clearly share research outcomes, methodology and with team members and other divisional personnel. * Directs/leads junior technical team members within area of responsibility to complete projects with quality, within time, and budget boundaries. Mentors and coaches junior engineers to grow technical competencies. * Generates and leverage existing and new intellectual property for new therapy and/or clinical use. Also, authors articles in journals and contribute to scientific literature and conferences. * Schedules and leads a team through the planning and execution for projects of significant complexity. This includes constructing detailed, accurate project schedules, interfacing with product development, quality, manufacturing and information technology teams. * Creates and communicates project plans, tasks and deliverables to meet project deadlines. This includes reporting pertinent information at key milestones through clear, concise oral and written communications. * Engages in continuing program of learning in order to broaden knowledge in engineering analysis and to gain knowledge in new fields of general engineering and/or therapy areas in order to improve the individual effectiveness and to avoid technical obsolescence.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent, and 12 years of engineering experience. M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, and 8-12 years of engineering experience.
- PhD. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, and minimum 5-8 years of engineering experience
- Displays recognized expertise of theories/practices utilized by primary area.
- Proven experience in experimental and computational thermal management; heat and mass transfer, design of experiments, optimization, high performance (parallel) computing
- Expert in the use of Ansys Fluent and other tools, i.e. Solidworks, IcePak, CFX, Comsol, LabVIEW
- Is able to independently make direction decisions and present them logically, using written and verbal methods, to get buy-in from team and management stake-holders.
- Leads cross-functional teams and/or integrates cross-functional inputs to deliver of a project of significant technical and strategic complexity.
- Proposes and drives solutions to complex technical problems that are ambiguous and diverse in scope.
- Demonstrates good business judgement in balancing budget, profitability and vendor relationships; understands business financials and resulting impacts that decisions have on the business.
- Demonstrated ability to decompose complex problems into actionable tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership for engineering projects with substantial complexity and scope.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of methodologies for failure investigations.
- Demonstrated ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on technical inputs from multiple and varied functions (i.e. Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory, Information Technology etc.). Focuses on critical information without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail.
- Proven ability to influence program, project, and/or functional leadership and cross-functional teams.
Preferred * Expert in computational fluid dynamics (Ansys Fluent, ICEpak) * Experience with sound problem solving and root cause analysis methodologies (e.g. DMAIC). * Understanding of the requirements and design process (including risk analysis) for medical devices. * Experience with statistical analysis and product/process qualification; experience with Minitab or other statistics software
A *Career That Matters * Baxter’s employees are united in a mission to save and sustain lives. We are passionate about applying scientific innovation to meet the needs of the millions of people worldwide who depend on our medically necessary therapies and technologies. We focus on increasing access to healthcare, innovating in crucial areas of unmet need, and pursuing creative collaborations that bring our mission to life for patients every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic. EEO is the Law EEO is the law - Poster Supplement Pay Transparency Policy Reasonable Accommodations Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail toAmericas_TTA@baxter.comand let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
Organization: *Global Businesses - R&D Med Delivery
Title: Sr. Principal Engineer, Thermal
Location: Illinois-Round Lake
Requisition ID: 18000LNJ